1- Knowing Patient and Family Rights and Responsibilities: The patient and his/her family have the right to
- Receive orientation about the hospital, receive an explanation and a copy about the patient family right at DSAH.
- Receive a copy of bill of rights in a form of posters or pamphlets that is available in all waiting area of the hospital.
- Contact social services department, for explanation needed about the patient and family rights.
2- Getting Health Care: The patient and his/her family have the right to:
- Treatment in the right time without discrimination of race, religion, believe, creed, language, sex, age or disability, receive clear information and education about the case, health status in an understandable language.
3- Privacy and Confidentiality: The patient and his/her family have the right to:
- Discuss the treatment plan confidentially, unless the patient or legal guardian grants the permission to release information.
- Cover the patient private parts unless a medically urgent situation.
- Patient medical record is accessible only to the medical team caring for the patient, the quality management program Team, DSAH research team and People with a written authorization of the patient (legal guardian or legal authorities).
- Have appropriate outfits and necessary personal hygiene kit.
- Have separated male and female waiting areas.
- Transfer the patient to a private examination room, ensure the presence of someone of the same sex, and does not stay more than needed.
- The patient information, diagnosis, tests, treatment and medical records are kept confidential.
4- Safety and Protection: The patient and his/her family have the right to:
- Not to be isolated unless it is needed medically based on the treating physician's order.
- The patient have the right to be transferred safely from and to DSAH.
- DSAH has procedures to protect patient possessions from theft and damage and from any kind of harm
- DSAH has professional and special policy to protect children, patients with special needs and elderly patient from all forms of abuse or harm.
- At DSAH Smoking is forbidden.
5- Respect and Appreciation: The patient and his/her family have the right to:
To be treated with:
- Courtesy and respect, with appreciation of his/her individual dignity at all times.
- Respect his/her identity by calling him/her with his/her official name ,
- Respect his/ her cultural, psychosocial, spiritual and personal values, beliefs and preferences.
- Be assessed, managed the patient pain appropriately, and provide adequate nutrition that is appropriate for his /her medical condition.
- Receive a decent end of life care and treat the corpse with respect.
6- Participation in the Healthcare Plan: The patient and his/her family have the right to:
- Receive orientation about the services provided at DSAH.
- Receive complete and updated information about the diagnosis, treatment, complications, risks, benefits and the alternatives in an understandable language.
- Receive the needed information before any treatment procedure or surgery by signing the consent form.
- In addition, and know the name of the physician performing the procedure except in emergency cases where immediate medical intervention is required
- Request second opinion in coordination with medical staff of the hospital.
7- Refuse Treatment: The patient and his/her family has the right to:
- Be informed the patient or his/her legal guardian of the right of refusing the treatment or a part of it: taking into account the adopted laws and regulations, in addition to the expected consequences, where the patient must sign the against medical advice form.
- Receive all the treatment and there will be no procedures or decisions taken against the patient as a result of refusing the treatment.
- Have any decision and he/she is fully responsible of his decisions or acts in case he/she refused treatment or did not follow its instructions.
- Be informed about other alternative treatments in case he refused the limited proposed treatment.
8- Participation in Research Studies: The patient and his/her family have the right to:
- In case of DSAH participate in research studies, patient and his family have the right to receive full information and sign a detailed informed consent about the specific research study.
9- Organ and Tissues Donation Policies and Procedures:
Patient has the right to be informed about his right to donate organ.
10- Health Insurance and Financial Policy: The patient and his/her family have the right to:
- Know in advance the expected cost, treatment, health insurance coverage limits regardless who will pay for it.
11- Clear and Comprehensive Declaration Forms: The patient and his/her family have the right to:
- Receive a list of interventions that requires a separate consent form like: surgeries, anesthesia, blood transfusions, interventions and high risk treatments such as chemotherapy and keep it in the patient's medical record.
- Receive information in an understandable clear language, in addition to clarify the expected negative and positive results to the patient consent or refusal.
12- Complaints and Suggestions Policies and Procedures: The patient and his/her family have the right to:
- File a complaint/suggestion to different levels written or verbal to patient relation office to receive information related to the complaint/suggestion.
Visitors have the right to:
- Have suitable visiting hours
- Have clear policies in the health facility in order to deal with visitations in exceptional cases.